Hey guys! Krayfishkarl here with another Droplet: States of Matter update! Version 1.5 of early access is now available! This patch contains a graphical update for the Chrome Skyscrapers level! It features reworked visuals and new background music.
Chrome Skyscrapers was one of the first levels ever created for the game. It served to prototype the different states of matter in what was originally a two dimensional area. Since that time, it was expanded and repurposed into its own unique level! Chrome Skyscrapers is located just over halfway through the game in the fifth hub world – Radon Industries. In the game’s universe, it takes place on a city-wide planet inhabited by all sorts of machines. It is home to the corporate headquarters of Fossil Corp, a predominant energy company that Lord Krypton has invested quite a bit of atoms into.
The Haunted Shipyard stage – while it has yet to receive its graphical update – has received a reworked music track. Since the creation of the original theme around 2019, I’ve obtained many different samples and plugins. Like the Chrome Skyscrapers music, I wanted to improve the Haunted Shipyard theme further by making the song sound more like the level it takes place in. It benefited heavily from more organic sounding instruments to evoke a spooky, swashbuckling adventure through a ship graveyard. On the other hand, Chrome Skyscrapers’ diverse techno-style sound would help to paint the atmosphere of a bright, futuristic city.
And lastly, there were a few minor adjustments to character animations. The punching animation and its sound effect for both Droplet and Molly-QL were updated to have a little more oomph to it. Droplet now has a reaction to Molly-QL when she loses a life. And finally, a crouch hop ability was added which amounts to what is basically an Easter Egg. I thought it would be a good idea to fill out the functionality of various button combinations. Attempting to press jump while crouching was something very frequent that playtesters tried to do, and adding something there – even if it was minor – would help to encourage further experimentation into Droplet’s ability set.
Don’t forget to subscribe if you want to stay up to date with the development of Droplet: States of Matter. And with that, thank you for reading!
Patch Notes EA1.5
- You can no longer spam the jump button sound while in a cutscene.
- Fixed a misplaced wooden plank in Xenon Lagoon.
- Scorpion collision has been fixed so that it now damages you properly.
- Added a short hop ability. It is mostly for aesthetic purposes to add minor functionality to the case where the jump button is pressed while crouching.
- Graphically updated Chrome Skyscrapers level.
- Droplet now has an animation for reacting to Molly-QL losing a life.
- New punch animation for Droplet and Molly-QL. You can also punch at slightly faster intervals now.
- New punching and kicking sound effects.
- Redid the music for Chrome Skyscrapers and Haunted Shipyard.
- Remastered the Luminous Paths theme.
- Changed the music for Ultimate Challenge to be the same as the new Chrome Skyscrapers theme.